Posts Tagged ‘poker tutorial’
We can’t say that analyzing is more important than the position. They both are very important. That’s why when you sit at the table you need to watch carefully and analyze the behavior of your opponents as well as your own reactions. It is not easy to do it but you can learn.
The facial expression, gesticulation, the body language can give you a lot of useful information relative to your opponents’ hands. You need to analyze them as well as to learn how to control your reactions since your opponents also will try to read you.
You need to be unpredictable, to change your playing style and not to allow them mislead you. Of course, your opponents will try to mislead you in order to make you take wrong decisions. This is their job. Stone face is not the only way to confuse your opponents. You can give a lot of wrong signals with your body, gestures, eyes etc. So there are certain advantages of playing poker online at an online casino, you are not in the presence of other humans, your poker face is less obvious, but actually this may also be seen as a disadvantage because you can’t catch those important telling signals from your opponents.
The skill of reading the opponents needs to be developed. The professional players have already developed it. All you need to do is to analyze their reactions: when they call, when they fold, when they raise and what they do when they have certain hand. You don’t need to stare at them but to watch very carefully. And analyze. Analyze your actions too. Always analyze.
No matter whether you win or lose, you need to analyze your actions. Of course, it takes time to learn how to do it. Take your time and be patient. If you really try to develop that skill, you will definitely succeed. And one day, when you manage to make them read your hands wrong, you are going to win a lot of money and respect.
It is not true that good and professional players play only aggressively and don’t make mistakes. Of course, they do. They are humans. But they play very carefully and only when they have strong hands they use the aggressive style. You should do the same. Self-confidence is very important when you play poker. And self control. If you feel that you are not able to control yourself, just leave the table. That needs to be learned as well: to know when to stop. Just like in life. If you learn it, you already win the half of the battle.
The position at the table is extremely important. The worst position is considered the position of the player who is to acts first i.e. places the first bet during the pre – flop. This position is an early position and it is also known as “under the gun” (UTG) position. This is the third player, the player who is sitting next to the Big blinder (to the left). The third, fourth and fifth positions are the early positions. The sixth, seventh and eighth positions are the middle positions. The ninth position (cutoff i.e. the player who is to act before the last player) and the tenth position (dealer, or button) are the late positions which are considered the best. There are also Small blinders (sitting to the left of the dealer) who are to play before the last players during the pre – flop and first in the rest of the hands. Big blinders (sitting to the left of the Small blinders) on the other hand act last during the pre – flop and second in the rest of the hands. It is very important to build your strategy and make decisions based on your position at the table.
Before you start playing poker, you definitely should learn about the styles of playing and types of players. The main styles of playing are tight and loose. You play tight when you enter the game with strong hands only, fold when the hand is not very strong i.e. play very few hands. You play loose when you call and place bets even with weak hands i.e you play a lot of hands. There are aggressive players who usually raise and re- raise quite often. Against aggressive players you should call, raise and re -raise only in case you have a strong hand. On the other hand, there are passive players who don’t raise often, no matter how strong is their hand. Passive players usually raise when they have a really strong hand, otherwise, they call. But against a passive player you should not play a passive style. You can use this strategy only in case other players are aggressive.
Before you start playing poker, you need to know how to evaluate your cards (hands). In order to do that, you must learn all poker combinations and the value of the cards. There are ten possible combinations you can get in poker (A combination of 5 cards). They are from the lowest to highest as follows:
- The lowest combination is called high card – it may sound good, but it isn’t. High card means that you have five not related cards. In case tall players did not manage to form other combination, the winner is determined by the ranking of the cards. For example, A, K, 10, 7, 5 beats A, Q, 10, 8, 5 since A –K is higher than A – Q.
- One pair is the next combination and it consists of 2 cards of the same rank and 3 not related cards. If two players have the same pair, the winner is determined by the cards which are not related.
- Two pair is a combination consisting of 2 cards of one rank, 2 cards of another rank and one card which is not related. The higher rank determines the superior pair and the winner. In case two players have the same higher pair, the second pair ranking determines the winner. In case that these two players have the same two pairs, the winner is determined by the rank of the card which is not related. If they are also the same, the pot is to be split between the two players.
- Three of a kind is a combination consisting of 3 cards of the same rank and 2 cards which are not related. It is also called set, triplets, or trips.
- Straight is a hand which consists of 5 consecutive cards of mixed suits. For example, Q of hearts – J of spades – 10 of diamonds – 9 of diamonds – 8 of clubs (queen-high straight) will beat 10 of spades – 9 of spade – 8 of diamonds – 7 of spades – 6 of clubs (10-high straight).
- Flush is a hand which consists of any 5 cards of the same suit which are not in sequence. If they were, the hand would be a straight flush. If two players managed to form a flush, the highest card ranking order determines the winner. For example, A-Q-J-7-6 of spades is higher than A-Q-J-5-4 of clubs;
- Full house is a hand consisting of one three of a kind and one pair. The hand is also called full boat. The ranking of the triplets determine the full house. For instance, 10 of spades, 10 of hearts, 10 of clubs, 9 of diamonds and 9 of spades are to be called 10’s full of 9’s.
- Four of a kind is a hand consisting of four cards of one rank and one not related card. For instance, Jack of spades, Jack of diamonds, Jack of clubs and Jack of hearts and 10 of spades. Four Queens beat four Jacks. The hand is also called quads.
- Straight Flush is a hand consisting of 5 consecutive cards of the same suit such as 8, 9, 10, J, Q; 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 etc.
- Royal flush is nothing but an ace high straight flush and it is considered the best poker hand since it is the highest. There are four possible royal flush combinations: 10, J, Q, K, A of any of the suits.